19 May 2011

The day with the panic attack

I had a little bit of a panic attack today. Actually that's not entirely true. It was a big panic attack.

I got up this morning, went about my usual morning routine and was driving to work thinking about the way things are for me right now. For the most part I'm happy with how things are, but there were a few things I started to think about that gave me a major panic attack.

It all started with me thinking about my age. The 'age' thought popped into my head because I turn 28 on Saturday & I won't lie, it's freaking me out!! Thinking about turning 28 scares me for a few reasons.

First, it's only two years away from 30... and I think we all know what I mean by that.

Second, there are a few things that I wanted to accomplish before I turned 28, but alas those things did not quite happen yet. These things are personal so I won't share them, but although I haven't accomplished them yet, thanks to my great friends talking to me today, I know I still have the abilities to accomplish them.

The third thing that very much increased the panic attack was thinking about my near future and how unknown it is right now. I'm completely in love with my internship and what I do for KSL.com that it really has confirmed my choice to be educated in Communication and pursue a career as a journalist.

The unknown part of my future is that following my internship, finding a job, a real world job, is scary and frankly, shares the shiz out of me. Although I am scared, some great advice from a friend today helped me realize that the unknown is very exciting. This great advice came in the form of a text and said, "Now is your chance to achieve your dreams."

So, despite the ridiculous panic attack I had today, my new mantra for this summer & my near future is simply this. Now is your chance to achieve your dreams.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

And if there is anyone who can achieve their dreams, it's you! :-) Don't let the fear of failure keep you from succeeding.

Andrea said...

You were meant for great things!