05 November 2008

Sports Writing vs. News Writing

As most of you know (that have been following my blog) when I joined the UVU Review staff I was going to simply do sports writing only, because that is what I want to do for a career. Now that I've been on the staff for a while and gotten to know the other areas of the paper as well, I am really getting into news writing. Now don't get me wrong I still love sports writing the most, and still see that as my dream job. I have done two news piece in the past (my Mark Zupan-paralympian article) and one that is going to press for this upcoming issue, I am currently having news article ideas pop into my head all the time. Its kind of getting addicting that I keep coming up with news article ideas. This week I worked on 3 pieces, two sports pieces and one news piece. Yes... I am super busy writing, but I absolutely LOVE it! Although, I don't think I want to do 3 pieces in two days again for at least a while. I wish I could just stop taking classes and work for the paper and call it good... but I probably should graduate and get my degree. I think I'll keep doing news writing every once in a while, especially when I come up with the story idea, that makes it more fun. Here is a link to my most current sports article: http://media.www.uvureview.com/media/storage/paper982/news/2008/11/03/Sports/Mens-Golf.Wraps.Up.First.Half.Of.Season-3522310.shtml

This week I had a cool opportunity! For one of my 3 articles that I wrote this week I was interviewing the UVU women's basketball coach which was awesome, and she was awesome! I had a blast doing this story, plus I got a FREE UVU T-SHIRT from the coach - (IN YOUR FACE PARKER! - Just kidding... Parker, you will get free stuff sooner or later ;), haha!) I am, as wells as the entire sports writing staff, super excited for the basketball season to begin! Its going to be a blast to cover the games as well as go to them! For the first time since I have been at UVU I actually have school spirit. Who would have thought that joining the newspaper staff would give me that! GO UVU!!!!!
Picture Credit - wolverinegreen.cstv.com

2 comments:

Kim said...

Cool!! I have really enjoyed reading your articles. You are very talented! Can't wait to read more.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! I want a t-shirt!!! Good for you getting a t-shirt!!! I think I deserve one ASAP.